Wrapping Up Custom K100 Parts

Custom Parts Project
1985 BMW K100

Custom_BMW_K100_Parts_Moto-Mucci (3).jpg

A local rider brought his unfinished K100 project to me recently for some custom parts and final tweaks. I built some caged side panels out of 6160 aluminum solid rod and sheet to cover up the battery area. The design borrows cues from flat track number plate tail sections. I wanted to cover a large area but keep the design light and airy so that's where the idea to do bars came from. The owner had a headlight picked out that needed mounting so I bent up a bracket that mimicked the design of side panels, again using 6160. The bracket utilizes the triple clamp bosses on the GSXR 750 front end.

All the gauges were stripped from the bike and replaced with Motogadget parts. I wired up the Motoscope Mini gauge with Combi indicator light housing, mLock keyless ignition, and the mBlaze Disc bar end turn signals. The mLock RFID disc was the perfect diameter to mount in the GSXR's ignition bezel. I designed a bracket that put the mLock in the original bezel and incorporated the Motoscope gauge just beyond it.

The owner wanted a custom seat that hinges open so I built a stainless steel seat pan that hugged the shape of the subframe. In order to have the seat hinge open and sit flush to the frame it needed to hinge from the rear. To do this with a side hinge would mean putting the hinges on the exterior of the frame and I wasn't feeling that. The end result is a cable actuated spring latch. The latch itself is from a Honda RC51 mounted up by the tank and a knurled pull knob is mounted between the rear stainless hinges.

There are still a couple items that need finishing that the owner will be tackling. He'll be making a wooden deck for the open section of frame out back to hide the hinge area. I carved the seat foam in-house but the owner will be stitching his own leather seat cover. I'll post some photos when she's all wrapped up.