With the CX's recent engine out repair, Project SR had to take a back seat. Now that the CX is back up and running, the SR build is in full swing. I spent the better half of a day putting together a spreadsheet of deadlines that would need to be hit in order to get the bike done by the Chicago Mods vs. Rockers meet, June 15th - 16th. It's going to be VERY tight. Challenge accepted.
I got around to finishing up the left side casing this past weekend. I'll usually hit them with a wire brush attachment on a drill first then go on to sand paper. This one I took up to 180 grit and I think I prefer it to the 120 on the right side casing. I'm planning on hitting the right side with 180 next.
The SR's Mikuni B34 carb dissembled. Quite a lot of parts for a single cylinder.
All cleaned up and ready to go back together.
The frame has now been shaved of all it's excess tabs. Tomorrow I'll be working on fabbing up some new mounting points for the Honda tank to sit on. This was the first time I've used a "flap disc" and I'm now of the opinion there is no better way to smooth out metal burs. It allows you to get a much more consistent finish then trying to smooth with a grinding disc, and risking taking off too much material.
In my spare time I've been separating out and stripping all the parts that will be going to powder coating, painting, and plating. Aircraft Stripper does the trick.
The parts keep rolling in and I'm trying to stay as efficient as possible, juggling many different projects at once. The timeline I created helps immensely. It can take a while to work out but it's a great guide to keeping yourself on track.