I'm currently enrolled in fabrication classes at a local tech school after hours. The amount of amazing machinery I have at my disposal is worth the money alone, but on top of that I have an instructor with 40+ years of experience and all free materials. The past couple of weeks I decided to start a new class project: re-designing the foot controls.
I started out sketching up some ideas. They're mostly just for aesthetic purposes. This build won't be a cafe, so rear-sets aren't necessary. Below is the first half of my shifter redesign progress.
|I had used a mill before in college, but had since forgotten how fun it was. This made the interior hole a cake walk.|
|Carbide de-burring tool. Pretty neat.|
|The form starts to take shape. The design I'm going with is just under the binding. Stock shifter to the right.|
|The bends are matched and I started roughly adding a bevel to the outer edge with a bench grinder.|
|Cleaned up the bevels with a file.|
There, now it's on the internet so I have to try extra hard not to F it up next class.